Whether you use them to adjust your hearing aids or learn language skills, hearing and language apps can improve your communication.
Apps for Hearing Loss
Communication can become complicated when you or someone you love has hearing loss. Having hearing loss often requires learning special language skills. Luckily, there are plenty of apps for smartphones and tablets that can help you and your loved ones learn skills like American Sign Language (ASL), Manually Coded English (MCE), Conceptually Accurate Signed English (CASE) and fingerspelling.
What is Fingerspelling?
This communication technique uses hand shapes representing letters to spell words that don’t have a sign. It’s an excellent way to learn some of the ASL basics but is not usually used by itself.
Some fingerspelling apps include:
- ASL Fingerspelling: You can improve your fingerspelling proficiency with easy words or challenge yourself with expert mode.
- ASL Fingerspell Dictionary: This app has hundreds of videos to teach you vocabulary. There are quiz options with multiple-choice or fill-in-the-blank options.
Learning American Sign Language
ASL is a visual language that has its own rules for vocabulary, grammar and sentence structure. You use hand shapes, motions, facial expressions and body language to express yourself. Fingerspelling is often used to supplement ASL.
Here are some apps that will help you learn ASL:
- Sign Language for Beginners: With this app, you can learn the alphabet using different games. The app will select exercises for you based on your preferences.
- ASL Coach: You can learn the alphabet and numbers with easy-to-follow video lessons.
- Baby Sign Language Dictionary: This is a good app for children five and younger. Videos are categorized by topic and come with quiz options.
- Hands-On Sign ASL: You’ll get an in-depth look at each sign thanks to the multiple view settings on this app. The app also teaches fingerspelling.
- Sign ASL: Search for different signs and view video tutorials at your desired speed. There is also a section in the app for children who are learning sign language.
Schedule an appointment at Hearing Associates, and our expert team will help you find the right hearing aids and assistive apps to help you get the most from your devices.